Carbon Fibre Passively Damped Composites are capable of providing Less Mass, Greater Stiffness and up to 20 times better damping than steel. With this in mind CompoTech adopted a strategy to bring these properties to components for Machine Building as early as 2005. It has been a long road, but the theory is now proving itself.
Machines are Dynamic.
Vibration from accelerating parts, vibrations from milling teeth and the harmonics of a cutting tool are the limiting factor in their performance and productivity. Every part and combinations of parts have their Natural frequencies.
Natural Frequency ∝ Density / E-Modulus
Vibrations and their decay are dependent on the Mass, Stiffness and Damping of the components of the machine.
Carbon Graphite Composite can deliver:-
- 1/4 of the Mass of Steel
- 20 x the Damping of Steel
- 2 x the E-Modulus of Steel
- Zero Thermal Expansion in 1 direction
With diligent design it is possible to improve the performance and productivity of many machines.
- Gantry Machines, Z-Axis,
- Gantry Machines, HSC
- Gantry Machines, First trial machine in production at CompoTech
- High Speed Gantry, Laser Cutting
- High Speed Gantry, Post Print processing, Packaging
- High Speed Cantilever,
- Spindle Motor, Spindle Shafts
- Spindle Motor, Spindle Motor Casing
- Tooling, Tool Holder
- Tooling, Tool
- Tooling, Work Holding
- Tooling, Long Shafts